I am trying to crystallize a protein that I am phosphorylating in-vitro. There
is no way that I can purify the phosphorylated protein from unphosphorylated
one. I tried Ion exchange and gel filtration for separating them and they are
not working.
Mass spec result shows the phosphorylation at desired site but in the crystal
structure, I am not seeing density for phosphoryl group. I haven't use any
phosphatase inhibitor during crystallization. is it possible that phosphoryl
group is getting lost due to radiation damage or due to phosphatases, my
protein is getting dephosphorylated before making crystal? I typically get
crystals within 24 hours. if I am losing phosphoryl group due to radiation
damage, should I still expect to see conformational changes due to
phosphorylation? in phosphorylated protein, an alpha helix has to move to
accommodate phosphoryl group but I am not seeing any change in that alpha
helix. did any one tried to set crystal tray with phosphorylation reaction mix
without further purification?

thank you for suggestion.

Dhiraj