Ls,

I dont think these numbers are useful by themselves. It makes more sense to look at differences in these numbers (between bound atoms in your protein and in 'the rest of the PDB') as function of as many external conditions as statistics allow. Then determine averages with SD, and score on Z and RMS Z.

Also, look at our recent BDB article in PEDS (Vol 27, Iss 11 457-462), because not every B-factor in the PDB is what you would expect it to be.

Gert