Sounds like your refinement is failing probably because of the low
data:parameter ratio at this resolution and/or the composition of your
asymmetric unit, poor initial phase information (probably a molecular
replacement solution which is close, but still far from the truth either in
sequence composition or atomic configuration).

In these cases, it is useful to use a reference structure containing an
idealized A-form (RNA) or DNA helix with the *correct* sequence composition and
ensure that the refinement program matches the residues appropriately upon the
start of refinement. If you've got some strange tertiary architectures
(k-turns, gnra tetraloops or some other non canonical motif), include those as
well.

Then, there is the issue how the restraints are generated for refinement, I've
found autoBUSTER's LSSR regime (based on interatomic distances  as opposed to
dihedral angles) to be quite good at restraining the refinement, but that's my
own opinion on a few particularly challenging cases.

As a polishing step (and if you have to revert to real space refinement), the
rcrane plugin but Kevin Keating is very helpful. It is accessible within coot.