Hi Edward,

I just need to comment on this.
To define contact atoms, you must use "solvated united atoms" that is atoms
with implicit hydrogens where needed (united radius), this radius being further
increased by that of a molecule of water.
Why is that?
In vacuum, it was shown that at a distance twice the sum of their vdw radii,
atoms still attract each other.
To take into account the screening effect of water, it has been convened that
if a water molecule could fit/pass between two atoms, then the vdw interaction
between them would fall off to zero.
Therefore, by increasing united radii with the radius of a water molecule, it
is easy to calculate the distance, Dij, between atoms i and j, and figure out
that when
Dij >= Ri + Rj + 2 R(H2O), then there is no vdw interaction, that is no
contact.
Otherwise, contact exists if Dij < Ri + Rj + 2 R(H2O). Note that in this case,
the solvated united atoms intersect and the surface of the intersection disc
would be proportional to the strength of interaction between these atoms.
In which case the vdw contact refers to the vdw interaction rather then the vdw
radii.
"Cracks" between atoms correspond to "reentrant" surfaces as defined by Fred
Richards.

Best regards,

Nadir

Pr. Nadir T. Mrabet
Structural & Molecular Biochemistry
N-gere - INSERM U-964
University of Lorraine, Nancy
School of Science and Technology
and School of Medicine
9, Avenue de la Foret de Haye
54500 Vandoeuvre-les-Nancy, France
Tel. (direct) : +33 (0)3.83.68.32.73
Tel. (secretary) : +33 (0)3.83.68.32.92
Cell. : +33 (0)6 11 35 69 09
Fax. : +33 (0)3.83.68.32.79
Email : Nadir.Mrabet <at> univ-lorraine.fr