I'd advise A LOT of caution here.  If you're new to the technique, there are
several considerations to make well before you go docking a structure into a
reconstruction. Some suggestions:

1.       Is your sample truly singular?  BSA is a wonderful example of this
conundrum: at high enough concentrations, BSA can be seen sampling a
monomer-dimer-trimer equilibrium. (seen as plain as day for BSA in SEC-MALS,
SV, SE..)  Did you scatter a monomer, or a mixture?  SAXS profiles are a
volume weighted averages of the scatter of the individual components, so
those trimers and dimers, even in small amounts, are contaminating your
signal and hence the data upon which your reconstructions are based (hence
volumes are skewed).   Is mass by I(0) or Qr that of a monomer? Is Rg
concentration dependent?

2.       Is your particle compact or flexible?  Flexible species and lack of
compactness undermine the reliability of a shape reconstruction.  (see
Kratky and Porod Debye Plots)

3.       What is the chi for an individual reconstructions in your
calculations?

4.       What is the NSD (Normalized Spatial Discrepancy) for the 10++
individual calculations that you performed using DAMMIF/N or GASBOR?  If
that number is too high for what the program prescribes (also seen
visually), are you then justified in averaging those shapes together?

5.       Is your atomic inventory complete (vs the construct you scattered)
- very difficult to reconcile these volumes with partial structures without
landmarks or contrast variation. The missing bits matter.

6.       Be sure your bead file is properly rendered in Pymol with the bead
radius prescribed in the header of the damfilt file.  Wrong bead sizes or
just rendering a surface over the beads are very misleading in assessing the
volume intended by the protein. What you show below does not look proper.
Use the 'set sphere_scale, X.X' command to set the bead radius.

If you pass those many criteria, then you're ready to dock a structure into
a reconstruction.  A good reality check before this would be to start with
CRYSOL and see what the discrepancy between the structure and the primary
scattering and in what part of the data those discrepancies lie.  I can
suggest a number of citations on each of the bullet points above if you'd
like.

Good Luck,

Kushol

Kushol Gupta, Ph.D.

Research Associate - Van Duyne Group

Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics

Perelman School of Medicine at The University of Pennsylvania

 <mailto:kgu...@upenn.edu> kgu...@upenn.edu / 215.573.7260 / 267.259.0082 /
<http://www.stwing.upenn.edu/~kgupta> www.stwing.upenn.edu/~kgupta