Hi Vikram,

lots of questions for you:
- what do the images look like? Were there “contaminating” lattices? Did the
spot shape look ok? Do they get worse later in the data collection, i.e. do you
have radiation damage? Is the image quality regular or worse at certain angles?
- how good is the data near 2.6Å? Is the data anisotropic?
If the data is not so great, perhaps Rfree 41% is as good as you can get.
Nevertheless:
- are you sure the molecular replacement solution is correct? Did you see
density differences for residues you had to “mutate” in COOT that support the
correctness of the molecular replacement solution?
- what does model validation say? Any regions that still need improving? Any
major differences between the two monomers that are not explained by the
density?
- did you try refining with local NCS in REFMAC? If not, this should get the
Rfree down a bit more.
- residues 1-49 and 370-377 may be genuinely disordered and not modellable, how
hard did you try?

Hope this helps,

Mark J van Raaij
Dpto de Estructura de Macromoleculas