From the Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2016/11/09/what-will-president-trump-mean-for-science/):

Last year, Trumptold <http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/10/donald-trump-michael-savage-aids-nih> conservative radio host Michael Savage, “I hear so much about the NIH, and it’s terrible.”

V. Nagarajan
JANSi

On 11/9/2016 7:17 PM, William G. Scott wrote:
Dear Edward et al:

I agree we shouldn’t engage in partisan arguments on the CCP4bb.  However, I
think it is a mistake, and perhaps a missed opportunity, to ignore politics
completely.

For example, Newt Gingrich is currently in the running for Sec HHS.  He has
previously written editorials in the NYT and Wall Street Journal advocating
doubling the budget of the NIH.

I think it is incumbent upon us to make our voices heard if such an opportunity
arises, regardless of what one may happen to think about the individual’s
political orientation, as it could potentially be of enormous benefit to the
scientific community.

Yours faithfully,

William G. Scott
Director, Program in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Professor, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
and The Center for the Molecular Biology of RNA
University of California at Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz, California 95064
USA

http://scottlab.ucsc.edu