From: CCP4 bulletin board [CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] on behalf of Matthew
Bratkowski [mab...@cornell.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 10:12 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] Calculation of RSRZ Score in PDB Validation Reports

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knew how the RSRZ score was calculated in the protein
data bank validation reports and how useful of a metric this actually is for
structure validation?  I am trying to improve this score on a structure that I
am working on, but I'm not really sure where to begin.  From my understanding,
the score is based on the number of RSRZ outliers with a score >2.  In my case,
I have several residues with scores between 2 and 4, but at least by eye, fit
to the electron density does not look that bad.  Hence, I can't justify
deleting them to try to improve the score.  If the score is just based on
percent of outlier residues, then for instance wouldn't a structure with say 20
residues modeled with no corresponding electron density have the same score as
a structure with 20 residues with RSRZ values of say 2.5?

I was also wondering how the resolution of the structure relates to the score?
Glancing through several pdb validation reports, I noticed some structure with
low resolution (3.5 A or lower) with relatively high scores, while others with
high resolution (2 A or higher) getting low scores.  It is reasonable to assume
that a structure of lower than 3.5 A would be missing several side chains and
may also have some ambiguous main chain electron density, which should in
theory increase the RSRZ score.  While of course every structure is different
and the quality of it due to the rigor of the person building the model, I was
wondering if there were any general trends related to resolution and RSRZ score.

Thanks,
Matt