Dear Colleagues:

Is is with great sadness that I report the recent passing of Abraham Szöke, a
friend, colleague, informal mentor, and an exceptionally intelligent and
energetic source of boundless intellectual enthusiasm.

Abraham was a physicist at Livermore who helped to design nuclear weapons for a
living, but he had many other interests. One of these was X-ray
crystallography, and with his wife and collaborator Hanna Szöke, as well as
John Somoza, he developed an approach to crystallographic real-space
electron-density refinement and optimization, implemented in a program called
EDEN, that produces electron density maps with minimal model bias in a robust
manner. The source code, along with a brief explanation and extensive user's
manual, is freely available:

https://code.google.com/archive/p/edencrystallography/

https://github.com/wgscott/edencrystallography

EDEN is written in C and is easy to compile on any unix platform. A fink
package for OS X is also available, as are packages for various linux
distributions.

John and I first met Abraham and Hanna Szöke when we were graduate students at
Berkeley. A few years later, I had the opportunity to collaborate with them and
to put EDEN to the test. A single-particle version of EDEN was also under
development, for use with electron microscopy. Abraham had a wide variety of
interests in addition to electron density reconstruction, including many novel
ideas about the origin of life. He enjoyed a multitude of fruitful and
productive collaborations throughout a period most normal people would consider
retirement. He passed away on Thursday at age 87 from an opportunistic
infection while combatting lymphoma.

William G. Scott
Professor, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
and The Center for the Molecular Biology of RNA
University of California at Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz, California 95064
USA

http://scottlab.ucsc.edu