Dear CCP4BB members,

I tried to use pymol command to align two proteins, I read the pymol wiki
and I could not understand the command grammars (I am not computer major
and not familiar with machine language).

For example pymol wiki says as below:

Furthermore, you may wish to restrict the alignment to just the backbone
atoms, so you can say:

align structure2 and resi 1-100 and name n+ca+c+o, structure1 and resi
300-400 and name n+ca+c+o

or in short form:

align structure2 & i. 1-100 & n. n+ca+c+o, structure1 & i. 300-400 & n.
n+ca+c+o

My questions are: 1. what does "name" mean in the command, should I just
type "name" as is in the pymol command?

2. If I want to align two conserved helix of a protein dimer (each helix is
on one monomer) to its single point mutant (mutation is not in the
conserved helix region), as the helix is on different protein chains, could
I write one command as: align structure 2 and chain X and resi xxx and
chain Y and resi xxx and name ca, structure 1 and chain X and resi xxx and
chain Y and resi xxx and name ca?

Thanks for any input on this.