Dear Murpholino,

I must apologize, there was a mistake in may last email. The critical parameter is, as you correctly pointed out, DSCA not RIPW and it is necessary to try a range of values for DSCA. For this reason I am CCing this to CCP4bb.

As you will be discovering, RIP phasing is not easy. We treat it like SIR, but it is complicated by the presence of both positive and negative difference peaks caused by radiation damage. Also density modification is less effective for SIR and RIP than for SAD phasing. In the case of SAD, just replacing negative density with zero improves the phases, but this is not true of SIR and RIP, However using the anomalous signal as well (RIPAS) helps, similar to SIRAS.

Best wishes, George

--
Prof. George M. Sheldrick FRS
Dept. Structural Chemistry,