Where would it get the sulphate to make sulphonate? Was there sulphate
somewhere in the purification?

Maybe it's a phosphate gotten off the FMN? I guess the phospho-cys bond might
be a bit longer?

JPK

Analyst.<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25011562> 2014 Sep
7;139(17):4118-23. doi: 10.1039/c4an00724g.
Puzzling over protein cysteine phosphorylation--assessment of proteomic tools
for S-phosphorylation profiling.
Buchowiecka
AK<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Buchowiecka%20AK%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=25011562>1.
Author information<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25011562>
Abstract
Cysteine phosphorylation has recently been discovered in both prokaryotic and
eukaryotic systems, and is thought to play crucial roles in signaling and
regulation of cellular responses. This article explores the topics of chemical
stability of this type of structural modification and the resulting issues
regarding affinity enrichment of S-phosphopeptides and their mass
spectrometry-based detection in the course of general proteomics studies.
Together, this work suggests that the current advances in phosphoproteomic
methodologies provide adequate tools for investigating protein cysteine
phosphorylation and appear to be immediately available for practical
implementation. The article provides useful information necessary for designing
experiments in the emerging cysteine phosphoproteomics. The examples of
methodological proposals for S-linked phosphorylation detection are included
herein in order to stimulate development of new approaches by the
phosphoproteomic community.