Hi Eleanor,

From PDB format 3.3:
* Every chain of ATOM/HETATM records presented on SEQRES records is terminated
with a TER record.
* The TER records occur in the coordinate section of the entry, and indicate
the last residue presented for each polypeptide and/or nucleic acid chain for
which there are determined coordinates. For proteins, the residue defined on
the TER record is the carboxy-terminal residue; for nucleic acids it is the
3'-terminal residue.
* For a cyclic molecule, the choice of termini is arbitrary.
* Terminal oxygen atoms are presented as OXT for proteins, and as O5’ or OP3
for nucleic acids. These atoms are present only if the last residue in the
polymer is truly the last residue in the SEQRES.
* The TER record has the same residue name, chain identifier, sequence number
and insertion code as the terminal residue. The serial number of the TER record
is one number greater than the serial number of the ATOM/HETATM preceding the
TER.

It seems that many programs are indeed overenthusiastic and also putting them
behind non-polymer residues or carbohydrates. TER records also appear (IMO
incorrectly) after linker residues that are in SEQRES, but are not amino acids.
This indeed causes side effects. I also noticed that COOT leaves TER records if
you add C-terminal residues. This can cause Refmac to think that the residues
should not be connected.

Cheers,
Robbie