Beside the good propositions of fixing the environment, flip the peptide, or
using PDB_REDO, I would suggest the following additional attempts:
Try
1) setting the OCC of the sidechain (CG and further) below 0.3 or mutate
directly to Ala. See which ones remain visible in a diff map and bring them
back in during the upcoming ref cycles (refine OCCs in Phenix)
2) use simulated CART annealing to get the side chains out of your way
3) use a FEM map against misinterpreted side chains
4) In very nasty cases, I use MOLOC to do real space refinement and give a lot
of weight to the H-Bond network. This usually helps to keep weakly defined
regions in place.

good luck, matthias

>>> Vipul Panchal <panchal.vi...@igib.in> 02.07.17 19.31 Uhr >>>
I do agree with Eleanor. When I was solving structure at 2.16A resolution,
outlier residues were having stearic clash or required side chain flipping.

At 2.76A resolution, hydrogen bonds would be difficult to visulize.

I found phenix.refine more user friendly. You may too find it useful.

Vipul Panchal,
Ph.D. student
CSIR-IGIB
(M)- 091 7678617949