Vaheh, one thing you can do is set up a microbatch-under-oil plate, varying
protein against precipitant, with a nice big variation in both parameters.
Then set up exactly the same experiment but with say 20 nl of seed-stock
added to each drop.  Hey presto that gives you the one dotted and two solid
lines that I showed on my diagram, conveniently laid out on two plates.
 (Convenient also that you happen to have good automation at MedImmune  ; )

That kind of thing is very helpful for people who want to grow crystals for
xFEL or neutron diffraction - it may not be absolutely essential for
routine structure solution.  But I always find it helpful to bear in mind,
as Frank suggests.

Very best wishes, Patrick

--
 patr...@douglas.co.uk    Douglas Instruments Ltd.
 Douglas House, East Garston, Hungerford, Berkshire, RG17 7HD, UK
 Directors: Peter Baldock, Patrick Shaw Stewart

 http://www.douglas.co.uk
 Tel: 44 (0) 148-864-9090    US toll-free 1-877-225-2034
 Regd. England 2177994, VAT Reg. GB 480 7371 36