What do you mean by “unique”? In the absence of anomalous signal, I+ and I-
should be the same, so are not independent, and it doesn’t make sense to count
them separately. Even if there is some anomalous signal, it is generally small
on average compared to the whole intensity, so I+ and I- are highly correlated
- should they be counted separately? What is the count for anyway?

I think it is confusing to count them differently depending on whether there is
anomalous signal, however small.

So “Number of unique refections” does depend on how you define it, and I would
define it as the count of I+ or I-

Phil