Thanks James for your reply. I my naive way, I thought that when doing paired
refinement, it would be sufficient to run several cycles of refinement with
simulated annealing followed by a thorough real space rebuilding. What is your
thought about using  the "jiggling" of additional cartesian annealing steps
(phenix) to check the influence of, say, an additional 0.1A outermost shell?
 I used paired refinement over a couple of cycles and thoroughly deleted what
was not visible anymore. Less for the removal of bias, but more to increase
degrees of freedom... But now that I read your answer, I have the impression
that this was not enough to remove bias of the sidechains?

matthias

>>> James Holton <jmhol...@slac.stanford.edu> 08/19/17 7:23 PM >>>

     Yes, B factors are indeed a super-absorbent sponge for model bias.
Best to re-set those before re-refinement.  But you should also do
something with the coordinates, and probably the occupancies too.

     My jiffy to add to Graeme's list of options is this script:
     http://bl831.als.lbl.gov/~jamesh/scripts/jigglepdb.awk
     It has a variety of options, including separate rms shifts for
coordinates, B factors and occupancies (shift=, Bshift=, and     Oshift=), and
a special option called "shift=byB" that moves     coordinates in accordance to
the atom's B factor.  The distribution     of the shifts can be Gaussian
(default), Lorentzian or uniform     sphere.  The latter is useful if you want
to avoid very large shifts     (see below).  By default, one conformer (i.e. A,
B, C) is randomly     given an occupancy of "1" for all residues and all the
other     conformers are given  zero.  This is an attempt to simulate the
cell-to-cell variation of the structure, which can only have one     conformer
at a time.  If you specify "keepocc=1" this behavior gets     turned off.  Any
non-zero "Oshift" will add random noise to all     occupancies.

     I'm sure all this functionality would be easy to re-create using     CCTBX
as well.

     I've actually played around with "jiggling" pdb files a fair bit.
Turns out that in order to remove "bias" completely you need to kick     the
atoms by an rms distance comparable to the relevant resolution.      That is,
1.5 A for 1.5 A spots, but also 6 A if you want to un-bias     6 A spots.  This
tends to be outside the radius of convergence of     most refinement programs.
In fact, kicking atoms by as little as     0.5 A can often result in some side
chains falling into alternate     rotamers and the like.  Waters can also fall
out of place and drift     into nearby pockets of liberated density.  You can
do a "cleanup"     after re-refinement to correct for such gross errors.
Looking for     the largest differences between starting and re-refined models
   generally lights these up.  But before you "fix" these things you     have
to start asking questions about what "bias" really is.

     It seems a popular "bias-reduction" approach is to re-run Phaser or
other molecular replacement job, but all that really does is put     your model
onto an alternative origin or asu choice.  These choices     are arbitrary, of
course, and crystallographically equivalent.  Once     you have corrected for
the origin shift using something like     "reforigin" you can see that all your
Phaser run has produced is a     slight rigid-body shift relative to where you
started.  Hardly a     bias-removal technique.

     So, what is "bias"?  We tend to think of "bias" the same way we     think
of "twinning": as a synonym for "evil".  Something to be kept     out of our
models and data at all costs.  But if you think about it     a bit you may
realize that even having the backbone structure itself     intact is a form of
"bias".  As in you are "biasing" your model to     resemble the overall fold
you originally assigned to the structure.      You may or may not be all that
worried about this.  And if you are     certain that the main chain trace is
correct, then enforcing it in     further analysis is not "bias", it is "prior
knowledge".  I suppose     knowing the difference between these two things is
what science is     all about.

     So, I'd say that "resetting" a structure depends on what aspect of     the
structure you're trying to test.  If you made a mistake in the     backbone
trace, or even a rotamer assignment, then doing a 0.5A     jiggle isn't going
to reset that mistake.  But if your trying to     test the influence of data
between 1.5 A and 1.4 A, then I'd say do     a jiggle of at least half that
distance.

     -James Holton
     MAD Scientist