Dear JPK,

the CSD holds about 8x more crystal structures than the PDB. Taking ICSD into
account as well as many non-published structures, it is probably safe to say
that the majority of structures did require 'swung out mode' - 'atypical' may
be a little a narrow view of crystallography.
At many synchrotron beamlines, that often do not provide a 2theta arm, it is
often borderline to get to the Acta Cryst C limit for publication, i.e. 0.84A
complete data.

Best,
Tim