From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of
r...@mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Sent: Sunday, 22 October 2017 10:27 PM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Large scale mammalian expression system recommendation?

Hi Nate,

There can be no consensus I guess, most importantly because transmembrane
proteins are so diverse :-)

We typically use transient transfection at the screening stage, and often for
large-scale expression (e.g. PMID 24909990). Bac-Mam has some advantages
(nicely described in 25299155, 27041595), but it's obviously more time
consuming. Lentiviral systems (we use Clontech) are also great.

But again the target often determines the choice of system. Whether it contains
multiple subunits, whether overexpression has a negative impact on cell health
(a tetO switch can be helpful, 12370422). Also, I'd use different systems
depending whether the recombinant protein is intended for functional,
fluorescence microscopy, structural analyses (say X-ray vs cryo-EM).....

Best wishes,

radu
--
Radu Aricescu