Dear All,

We have a rather confusion situation currently with our designer
proteins. They are highly symmetric and consist of identical amino
acid repeats in tandem that are organized in 3D around a central
(rotation axis). Our first series of proteins like this was the Pizza
(3ww9) which crystallized in P212121.

However for other proteins we have now a bit of a problem. After
crystallization of our new proteins some of them crystallized in such
a way that we can solve the structure with such a symmetry that only a
fragment of the protein is present. For instance we only see 2 repeats
in the asymmetric unit but in fact in the monomeric structure there
should be 8. The 8fold symmetric protein can be reconstructed from
crystal symmetry.

My question is now. Should we solve and deposit this crystal structure
to the most symmetrical smallest asymmetric unit resulting in an
incomplete protein in the asymmetric unit or should we solve the
structure in a lower space group such that the asymmetric unit
contains a full length monomeric protein. The protein has additional few
amino acids at N-terminal but we can not see these regions on
electronic density map. When comparing the two R free we see that the
lowest spacegroup has a slightly better (4%) R free value than the
higher spacegroup with an incomplete protein in the asymmetric unit.

The PDB document
(https://cdn.rcsb.org/wwpdb/docs/documentation/annotation/wwPDB-A-2017Aug02-V2.8.pdf)
is described, "The asymmetric unit may be one molecule or one subunit
of a multimeric protein, but it can also be more than one." on page
34.

So should we go for the highest symmetry as observed from the
diffraction data, or go for a lower symmetry agreeing with a full
protein.

Thank you for you help.

Kindest Regards,
Hiroki noguchi