Dear all,

A postdoctoral position is available in my lab in the Department of
Neuroscience, Physiology & Pharmacology at University College London.

The post is to investigate how calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II (CaMKII)
is targeted in neurons, which underlies its role in strengthening synapses
during learning.

The ideal candidate will have a background in structural biology and/or
biochemistry with an interest (but not necessarily a background) in
neuroscience. The project involves an international collaboration with the
University of Konstanz, and the postholder will have the opportunity to visit
Konstanz to learn crosslinking coupled to mass spectrometry this summer.

The post is initially funded for 18 months, and the deadline for applications
is 19th March 2018.

Please contact me directly for informal inquiries, or apply here:
http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/BHU799/research-associate/

Best wishes,

Matthew

---
[University College
London]<http://www.jobs.ac.uk/employer/university-college-london>

Matthew Gold, PhD
Sir Henry Dale Fellow
University College London
Dept. Neuroscience, Physiology & Pharmacology
Gower Street
London
WC1E 6BT

Phone: 020 7679 7161
Website:
www.ucl.ac.uk/biosciences/departments/npp/people/mgg<https://www.ucl.ac.uk/biosciences/departments/npp/people/mgg>

---

More information relating to the position:

Duties and Responsibilities
We are recruiting a postdoctoral research associate to investigate a key
mechanism for altering the strength of synaptic connections between neurons -
the foundation of learning and memory. The project will focus on determining
how the key enzyme that drives long-term synaptic potentiation is targeted in
synapses. This will involve determining structures of protein complexes
assembled in vitro using protein crystallography or electron microscopy, in
tandem with analysis of the structure of intact synapses using cross-linking
coupled to mass spectrometry (XL-MS) with brain extracts. In this way, the
post-holder will have the opportunity to lead the first application of XL-MS to
interrogate the structure of the synapse. Cross-linked brain extracts will be
measured at the University of Konstanz, and the post-holder will have the
opportunity to visit Konstanz to train in XL-MS.
The successful applicant will join the group of Matthew Gold in the Department
of Neuroscience, Physiology, and Pharmacology (NPP). The laboratory focuses on
understanding how enzymes that respond to cyclic AMP (Walker-Gray et al., PNAS,
2017) and calcium (Patel et al., Nature Communications, 2017) control the
strength of neuronal synapses at the molecular level. In addition to structural
approaches, we are set up to perform electrophysiological recordings to tie
structure to function. We also collaborate with laboratories within the
department of NPP who interested in the structure of ion channels (Laverty et
al., NSMB, 2017).
This post is funded for 18 months in the first instance.

Key Requirements
The successful candidate must hold (or about to be awarded) a PhD degree in a
relevant subject area. Applicants are required to have proven skills in general
techniques underlying structural and molecular biology (including all or most
of the following: molecular cloning, bacterial and mammalian cell culture,
protein purification, assaying protein-protein interactions or enzymatic
activity). Technical experience of purifying extracts from brain would be an
advantage but is not essential. The successful candidate must demonstrate
excellent verbal & written communication skills and be able to present complex
information effectively to a range of audiences. Experience of successfully
working in a competitive academic research environment as well as evidence of a
publication record in good quality publications, commensurate with experience
are also essential.