Hi Chandra

My only comment is be careful of modern microscopes that have a frosted
glass screen with LEDs behind it, just below the plate.  For looking at
crystals you need *directional *light.  I've seen some very expensive
modern microscopes with illumination that just doesn't work for
crystallization.  If I come across that situation I normally make a
platform and raise the plate up by a few inches - it can dramatically
improve the quality of images.  You can also cut a round hole in e.g. a
piece of aluminium foil and use it to make the area of the light source
smaller.

On the other hand illumination mustn't be *too *directional because the
drop itself acts as a lens.  If you have a light source that is small and
too far from the sample you'll get black regions around the outside of the
drop where you can't see crystals.

It's all about the solid angle of the light hitting the sample - I'm sure
others can explain better than I can.

Good luck, Patrick

--
 patr...@douglas.co.uk    Douglas Instruments Ltd.
 Douglas House, East Garston, Hungerford, Berkshire, RG17 7HD, UK

 http://www.douglas.co.uk
 Tel: 44 (0) 148-864-9090    US toll-free 1-877-225-2034
 Regd. England 2177994, VAT Reg. GB 480 7371 36