Yes. that is how it should be done. if you have a map then you convert them to
Fourier coefficients directly using Fourier transformation.

Only for some particles density maps are positive everywhere. X-ray particles
are one of them.
For neutron and electron scattering maps could be negative as well as positive.

For electron diffraction in a simplified form there is a relationship (and it
is used in some programs, including refmac) between X-ray and electron
scattering factors. Using the fact that electron density and electrostatic
potential are related by Poisson equation Mott-Bethe derived a formula:

f_e(s) PropTo  (Z-f_X(s))/s^2

Z is nuclear charge and f_x(s) is X-ray form factor (Fourier transformation of
spherical form of electron density of an atom. f_x(0) is the total number of
electrons. For charged atoms at s=0 Z-f_X(s) is different from 0 and therefore
for positively charged atoms it could be very large positive number. and for
negatively charged atom it could be very negative number. (There is screening
effect related to realignment of charges around charges also, but still
negatively charged atoms will have negative scattering factors at low
resolution). At higher resolution all scattering factors become positive. So,
if you measurement (density) is at low resolution then density map can be
negative. It is true for EM as well as electron diffraction.

There is an additional complications in EM when you compare maps from
reconstruction to the atomic electrostatic potential: maps have been subjected
to some filtering procedure.

An additional complication in density maps after scattering experiment is that
scattered particles can knock out some hydrogens (eventually knocking out some
of atoms or group of atoms) and the result could be an accumulation of negative
charges and therefore (at low resolution) weakening of maps, in some cases
making them negative. There are few more complications  (direction dependence,
solvent behaviour, dynamic scattering effects etc).

Regards
Garib
 P.S. I am sorry that this mail turned out to be longer than I wanted.

On 15 Mar 2018, at 14:41, Eleanor Dodson
<0000176a9d5ebad7-dmarc-requ...@jiscmail.ac.uk> wrote:

> So if I calculate "structure factors" from a map do I just use the map as is
> with the negative values included ?
>
> Eleanor
>
> On 15 March 2018 at 14:37, Ian Tickle <ianj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Eleanor
>
> Electron scattering factors can be negative for negative ions, particularly
> at low d*.  For a low-resolution map it means that the electric potential is
> the opposite sign to what you expected.  It's why you often don't see ASP &
> GLU side-chains in low resolution EM maps.
>
> Cheers
>
> -- Ian
>
> On 15 March 2018 at 14:17, Eleanor Dodson
> <0000176a9d5ebad7-dmarc-requ...@jiscmail.ac.uk> wrote:
> I am pig-ignorant about these ,, but this example has negative values as well
> as positive..
>
> What does this mean? I thought a well phased map would be pretty well all
> positive..
>
>  Eleanor

Dr Garib N Murshudov
MRC-LMB