>>>These simple things are easily forgotten if there isn't direct visual
>>>evidence for their existence.

Maybe someday we scientists will collectively realize the huge importance of
intuitive data presentation and focus more on it, scorn it less as "mere
presentation"? When one thinks of the most powerful breakthroughs in the
history of science, one is struck by the advances of simply presenting data (or
collecting data) in a way that speaks directly to the intuition, e.g.,
heliocentrism, the DNA double helix, structural bio in general, cartesian
graphing. What about things like molecular graphics, or the ribbon diagrams and
other representations which underlie them? All of these are "mere
presentations" but have driven science forward incredibly. Shouldn't we focus
on making more data-to-intuition translators?

For example, what there was a VR interface in which the user could actually
feel physical forces in protein molecules, get a touch-intuitive sense of what
proteins are like? We would already "know" so much more about proteins!

Jacob

Jacob Pearson Keller
Research Scientist / Looger Lab
HHMI Janelia Research Campus
19700 Helix Dr, Ashburn, VA 20147
Desk: (571)209-4000 x3159
Cell: (301)592-7004

The content of this email is confidential and intended for the recipient
specified in message only. It is strictly forbidden to share any part of this
message with any third party, without a written consent of the sender. If you
received this message by mistake, please reply to this message and follow with
its deletion, so that we can ensure such a mistake does not occur in the future.