We bought some recently hoping for some magic for a specific project that we needed new crystal forms for.  Alas, no fairy dust magic in our hands.  Maybe we didn't do the protocol right - but of course, one doesn't expect to have to do that with fairy dust. We haven't tried with many things, though.

All these tricks published over the years seem to /on average/ but hardly ever when you need them.  Which is fine if you're funded to generate lots of structures, but frustrating if you're funded to crack specific science.

While I'm at it:  for those of you asked to review such methods in the future, could you insist on them being tested on a lot more than lysozyme and thaumatin?

phx

On 31/03/2018 01:44, Whitley, Matthew J. wrote:
I would also be interested in learning whether polyoxotungstate has worked wonders for anyone.  At the current price of 387 EUR/gram, it is a bit too expensive for us to seriously consider giving it a try.  Yes, a gram is a lot of compound and would probably last a long time, but there are other things at present that we know would give us more bang for our buck euro.  If anyone has any great stories of how it was a game changer for them, that would do a lot to motivate us to give it a try.  Eager to hear about your experiences using the compound.

Thanks,
Matthew
---
Matthew J. Whitley, Ph.D.
Research Instructor
W. Furey Lab
Department of Pharmacology & Chemical Biology
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
On 3/30/2018 7:00 PM, CCP4BB automatic digest system wrote:
------------------------------
Date:    Fri, 30 Mar 2018 20:24:29 +0200
From:    Nikolay Dobrev<nikolay.dob...@bzh.uni-heidelberg.de>
Subject: Anderson?Evans polyoxotungstate (TEW)

Dear all,
I apologize for my off-topic question.
I want to ask if anyone has so far used the Anderson-Evans
polyoxotungstate
(https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.jenabioscience.com%2Fcrystallography-cryo-em%2Fscreening%2Fxp-screen%2Fx-tew-anderson-evans-polyoxotungstate&data=01%7C01%7Cmjw100%40PITT.EDU%7C27d0177bd91c4d421ed508d59692ef9d%7C9ef9f489e0a04eeb87cc3a526112fd0d%7C1&sdata=IXVk9RvttYWokRiY2M9H43br5JHo2REjfx9HBML13rI%3D&reserved=0).
Did someone see an improvement in crystal quality/diffraction?
Any comments will be highly appreciated.

Nikolay Dobrev

Nikolay Dobrev
PhD Student in AG Sinning & AG Fischer
Biochemie Zentrum
Heidelberg University
Im Neuenheimer Feld 328
69120 Heidelberg
Germany
Phone: +49 6221 54 4796
Email: <nikolay.dob...@bzh.uni-heidelberg.de

End of CCP4BB Digest - 29 Mar 2018 to 30 Mar 2018 (#2018-81)