Just to make the point that you are not alone, I have observed the same issue on Mac with CCP4-installed Coot 0.8.9.1 using latest OS and Xquartz. This started happening with a recent update.

Interestingly, the 'Edit Chi Angles' dialogue now allows us to modify non-chi angles as well (not sure if this was intentional), but only for some residues. For example, when I click on a Leu or Cys, I am given the options to also modify "C <--> CA" and "CA <--> N" torsional angles, generally known as psi and phi. But with Asp, I get no such options to modify psi and phi. Interestingly, with Glu, the only angles I am allowed to modify in the "Edit Chi Angles" dialog are psi and phi angles.

Engin