Dear Graeme,

that sounded to me at first like xia2 and DIALS could be written in Python3 and
still use cctbx. But thinking about it, this cannot be true; once you run your
code, you have to run either the Python2 or the Python3 interpreter. And if you
try to use Python3, it will not correctly run cctbx.

I think what you do in xia2 and DIALS is write code that now runs under
Python2, but will/would still work if run under Python3 - but this requires
converting cctbx to Python3 (which, as I saw on some webpage, is a goal for
2018 IIUC).

Right? Pls ignore my ignorance; I'm a beginner in this area ...

best,

Kay