Hi All

I have a comment, based on my old supervisor's explanation, which seemed to
make sense.

Crystals usually grow layer by layer.  Once a new layer is formed it
quickly expands to cover the whole surface.  That's why crystals normally
have flat surfaces and sharp edges - the layers/steps expand rapidly until
they get to the edges.

However it doesn't have to be like that.  Sometimes new layers can form
roughly as quickly as the previous layers can spread.  The result is
crystals with curved surfaces - or even just blobs.

Just because the new layers form at a rate that is comparable to the
spreading doesn't mean that the crystals won't be ordered, and won't
diffract well.

Once I understood that I understood what I was seeing better when I checked
my drops.

Best wishes Patrick

On 5 July 2018 at 22:06, Sanishvili, Ruslan <rsanishv...@anl.gov> wrote:

> Hi Anirban,
>
> It would be great if you could share the compilation of relevant responses
> to your request. I think many others in the community could use these
> examples for educational purposes.
>
> Best,
>
> Nukri
>

> Ruslan Sanishvili (Nukri), Ph.D.
> Macromolecular Crystallographer
> GM/CA@APS
> X-ray Science Division, ANL
> 9700 S. Cass Ave.
> Lemont, IL 60439
>
> Tel: (630)252-0665
> Fax: (630)252-0667
> rsanishv...@anl.gov

 patr...@douglas.co.uk    Douglas Instruments Ltd.
 Douglas House, East Garston, Hungerford, Berkshire, RG17 7HD, UK
 Directors: Peter Baldock, Patrick Shaw Stewart

 http://www.douglas.co.uk
 Tel: 44 (0) 148-864-9090    US toll-free 1-877-225-2034
 Regd. England 2177994, VAT Reg. GB 480 7371 36