Dear Markus,

I believe the strong assumption in the community is that a clear single peak of
appropriate Mw is a clear indication of pure protein, worthy intensive
crystallization efforts. Whether it is active is another question and this
should be measured.

For your analysis, it is not important in which buffers the protein is not
active, but whether the protein you purified is active in the buffer (maybe
without precipitant) you used for crystallization.

A single apo structure is usually not enough to determine the catalytic
mechanism of an enzyme, you usually need some substrate-, transition state-
product- (analog) structures as well. If your protein is active in the
crystallization buffer and the ligand complexes make chemical sense, you can be
pretty sure that you have crystallized the right conformation.

If your protein is not active in the crystallization buffer, you must
critically analyze the structure, if it makes chemical sense and if you can
explain the absence of activity (e.g. pH far from optimum; inhibitor bound in
the active site). I am currently working on an enzyme who's active site loves
all kinds of substituted and unsubstituted phosphates, sulfates etc. so it is
not active in a wide range of buffers like phosphate, MES, MOPS, HEPES etc.
However, the crystal structures still represent the active conformation, the
active site is just blocked by some buffer component.

Other proteins (proteases) can only be crystallized in an inactive form, since
active they chew themselves to pieces.

Hopes this helps,
Herman