PhD Position at MFPL Vienna
I will start my group at the Max F. Perutz Laboratories (MFPL) in Vienna in
March 2019. I am currently recruiting a PhD student through the Vienna
BioCenter PhD Programm (see below).
Note: Only application through the Vienna BioCenter PhD program can be
considered. The application deadline is November 15th.
Project: My group is interested in unraveling the molecular mechanisms that
allow the establishment of a robust RNA interference (RNAi) response in which
small RNAs are used to silence the expression of genes. We are particularly
interested in understanding how the nuclear RNAi pathway leads to
heterochromatin formation. We will address these questions by reconstituting
and characterizing the protein complexes involved in these pathways both
biochemically and structurally. For the structural characterization, we employ
an integrative approach by combining X-ray crystallography and single-particle
electron microscopy. This will be complemented by biochemical approaches
(enzyme activity assays) and biophysical assays (isothermal titration
calorimetry, analytical ultracentrifugation, and spectroscopic methods). For
more information see the link below:
https://www.training.vbc.ac.at/fileadmin/user_upload/SebastianFalk_VBC_WinterSection_18_19.pdf
Best,
Sebastian
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Dr. Sebastian Falk
Max-Planck-Institute of Biochemistry
Structural Cell Biology / Conti Lab
Am Klopferspitz 18
D-82152 Martinsried
Germany

 Apply now to one of the best PhD Programmes in Europe!
International PhD Programme in Molecular Life Sciences at the Vienna
BioCenter<http://www.training.vbc.ac.at/>
Empowering Curious Researchers
The Vienna BioCenter (VBC) is a leading life science location in Europe: a
thriving campus that combines basic research, universities and biotech
companies. Our programme has been successfully running since 1994, providing
students from all over the world with exceptional training. As a student at the
VBC you will be supervised by top scientists and have full access to
state-of-the-art facilities, thus giving you the opportunity to launch a
successful scientific career.
At the Vienna BioCenter you can do more, as we offer:

  *   Fully-funded PhD Positions with competitive salaries

  *   A multidisciplinary environment and full access to state-of-the-art
facilities
  *   A dynamic and collaborative scientific environment at the Vienna
BioCenter.
  *   English as the working language
  *   A flexible curriculum with an initial training course, progress reports,
as well as training in technical and complementary skills.
  *   Students contribute to the management of the institutes, through
representatives, and organize events that promote networking and career
development, such as an annual retreat and a symposium.
  *   Not only will you be in one of Europe’s best institutes, you will live in
Vienna, which is rated as the number one city in the world for quality of life.
Vienna is a fun, young city embedded in beautiful old buildings, an
international metropolis in the heart of Europe.

The campus:
Four research institutes collaborate in creating an exceptional environment,
where researchers have all the necessary resources to conduct meaningful
projects: there is virtually no experiment that cannot be done at the VBC. The
VBC PhD Programme is jointly organized by: Research Institute of Molecular
Pathology (IMP): www.imp.ac.at<http://www.imp.ac.at/>, Institute of Molecular
Biotechnology (IMBA): www.imba.oeaw.ac.at<http://www.imba.oeaw.ac.at/>, Gregor
Mendel Institute (GMI): www.gmi.oeaw.ac.at<http://www.gmi.oeaw.ac.at/>, Max F.
Perutz Laboratories (MFPL): www.mfpl.ac.at<http://www.mfpl.ac.at/>

Eligibility criteria:
The programme is run in collaboration with the University of Vienna. Applicants
must hold a Master's degree or equivalent from a university in a related topic
(or you will complete a master's degree within six months of the application
deadline). We have two calls per year
How to apply:
We have two calls per year: Winter call between 15 September – 15 November;
Summer Call between 1 March – 15 April
All applications must be submitted online:
https://www.training.vbc.ac.at/phd-programme/applications/
Visit our website or our social media channels for more information and updates:
https://www.training.vbc.ac.at/
https://www.facebook.com/VBCPhdProgramme/
https://twitter.com/TrainingVBC
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4UetFcTZbVyCet7sJ7lIqg?disable_polymer=true