From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of
Clemens Vonrhein
Sent: 12 November 2018 07:32
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Very strange LINK cards appearing in recent structures

Dear all,

we also have a lot of "fun" with LINK records when taking deposited PDB
structures into BUSTER refinement. Sometimes (but not often) there are
missing LINK records, but the vast number of problems is due to erroneous
LINK records added by annotation software it seems (based on a cut-off of
3.5A apparently).

Correcting those issues once reported is one option, but maybe revisiting
the idea about auto-generating LINK records during deposition would be
beneficial. At the end of refinement the various packages will have all
required and no wrong/additional LINK records in the final PDB file - and
deposition software should probably take those as-is without automatically
rewriting/adding/removing any (while still present a note/warning to
depositor about potentially missed LINK records according to annotation
software). This would most likely result in much fewer LINK problems in
deposited PDB structures.

As the format guide says:

  The LINK records specify connectivity between residues that is not
  implied by the primary structure.

and specifically mentions bonds (not hydrogen bonds or salt-bridges):
https://www.wwpdb.org/documentation/file-format-content/format33/sect6.html#
LINK

Cheers

Clemens

On Sun, Nov 11, 2018 at 07:31:55PM +0000, Robbie Joosten wrote:
> Erroneous LINK records happen quite a lot and used to be the combination
of aggressive annotation software and depositors not paying attention to the
comments from the annotators. They make up a large fraction of the bug
reports I have sent to the PDB over the years. They are usually fixed very
quickly by the annotators, as long as someone takes time to report them.

> This case looks like an error in a refinement program which nevertheless
should have been caught by the depositors. What I would like to know is
whether the deposited, pre-annotation model had the LINKs or not.

> LINKs are a bloody nightmare when it comes to annotation. At the moment
there is no record keeping of targets and chemical modifications in a
dictionary on the side of the PDB so there is also no standardisation. IMO
mmCIF makes it easier to store the restraints with the coordinates, but
there is still no neat mapping by LINK identfiers the way the LINKR format
works in Refmac. I think that is a missed opportunity.