Hi Almudena,

I wonder to which extent I can trust the positive blobs or polder maps that
> I am generating...

the answer to this question is given in corresponding paper that describes
Polder map:
http://journals.iucr.org/d/issues/2017/02/00/ba5254/ba5254.pdf

Based on the analysis described in this paper the program states the
verdict in plain English (as opposed to a bunch of numbers).

For a lazy option you can watch the video tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcTuMJayh5c&feature=youtu.be

For even lazier option you can fast-forward to minute 4 of the video where
Dorothee shows what to watch for.

> Anybody that can make other suggestions concerning how to validate the
> ligand binding site and/or generate other maps that could be more helpful?

If you have another data set collected from the crystal without the ligand
and crystals are reasonably isomorphous, you can calculate Fobs-Fobs map.

Good luck,
Pavel