Dear Miri:

Thanks very much for your very thoughtful CCP4 post. Since I was one of his
last (and perhaps least) postdocs, I felt a bit self-conscious and inadequate
initiating discussion. I am very grateful to you for doing so.

I would like to point out, for those who are interested, that Ken Holmes (a
close colleague of Aaron’s) recently published an excellent and definitive
biography entitled "Aaron Klug: A Long Way from Durban." It is extremely
well-written, accurate and comprehensive. I got ahold of it here:
https://www.amazon.com/Aaron-Klug-Long-Durban-Biography/dp/1107147379/ref=mt_hardcover

Aaron's many contributions to our field included pioneering work on virus
structures, which began in collaboration with Rosalind Franklin, structures of
tRNA, the nucleosome, a ribozyme, discovery of zinc finger transcription
factors and of course 3D image reconstruction. He initially learned
crystallography from R. W. James in Cape Town. He also made contributions to
many aspects of crystallography, including direct methods and heavy-atom
phasing.

From my personal perspective, he was truly an exceptional mentor. Despite
obligations that included directorship of the MRC-LMB and then Pres. of the
Royal Society, he always had time and a keen interest in what each of us in his
small group was doing. When I first arrived (in 1993), I was supposed to work
on a structure of a zinc finger/RNA complex, but he quickly deduced that my
heart was still invested in getting a ribozyme structure, which I had struggled
with for several years previously. He immediately appreciated its significance
and encouraged me to make a fresh start of it, which eventually succeeded.

At about the time I got the ribozyme phasing to work, my mother, back in
Chicago, was treated for lung cancer. Aaron was very supportive and encouraged
my frequent trips home to visit. When she recovered, he hosted her (along with
me) for lunch in London at the Royal Society, which she (and I) greatly enjoyed
and appreciated. (Perhaps because of this in some small part, she beat the odds
and survived.) It remained one of her fondest memories.

I last saw Aaron about 10 years ago when I gave a presentation at the LMB, and
he was still very much engaged and helpfully critical of our work. His
extraordinary intellect, informed by his remarkable dignity and humanity, is as
much a legacy as his many exceptional contributions to science.

Yours sincerely,

William G. Scott
Professor, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
and The Center for the Molecular Biology of RNA
University of California at Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz, California 95064
USA

http://scottlab.ucsc.edu