Herman,

thanks - however, it seems like I have poorly worded my question.  I do
know how to generate alternate conformers, what the PDB ATOM record format
is etc.  The point was that when I have alternate conformers that carry the
same residue ID but different residue types, Refmac exits with the error.
The question was whether there is a "native" solution to this that does not
include some pdb file acrobatics (i.e. separating the alternative type into
a separate residue and enforcing connectivity using elaborate LINK
records).   Based on what I see so far, there likely isn't any such native
option.  Whether these situations are common enough to warrant (possibly
elaborate) software changes is a separate question.

Cheers,

Ed.

---
I don't know why the sacrifice didn't work. The science seemed so solid.
Julien XIII, Lord of the Lemurs