Hi,

We already have problems with the volume taken by our standard backups (they take too much space and we haven't been able to push the walls outwards in the Institute - I don't know why they keep telling us that our data should be in some clouds up in the sky). Hence I was wondering about space considerations: can the backups of the synchrotrons and X-FELs be miniature versions (obtained by clever dehydration methods)? If you need to access the backup then simply rehydrate and you'll get the full size backup appearing in the garden of your Institute... If your Institute doesn't have a garden of the proper size, then it's time to talk to the administrator. It should be fairly easy to convice her/him that the acquisition of a garden is really a must now.

F.