I agree with Harry that an ice ring should never require you to process the
data in two separate runs, and hopefully this does not become a standard
approach..........

How did you present those data to aimless so it could scale the two
datasets that have no overlap at all?

Johan

On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 at 10:07, Harry Powell <
0000193323b1e616-dmarc-requ...@jiscmail.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi Sam
>
> Did you use the ice-ring exclusion option in iMosflm (a button that has an
> image like a snowflake)? It should exclude data in _narrow_ resolution
> rings (substantially less than 0.2Å!) around the ice rings, and can be set
> for any combination of indexing, refinement and integration. There should
> not be any need to process the data twice, once for the low resolution data
> and once for the high.
>
> Harry
> --
> Dr Harry Powell

> On 8 Apr 2019, at 19:50, Sam Tang wrote:
>
> Hello everyone
>
> Thanks a lot for your input and advices. To report on how we tackled the
> issue -
>
> (1) We used imosflm to integrate the data.
> (2) We eventually integrated the data in two resolution ranges, say
> 45A-3.5A, and 3.3A-3A, and merge them by Aimless. I must add that indeed
> from the log file for our initial round the program had already identified
> some ice ring regions.
>
> Aimless statistics looked fine and we were able to get a MR solution which
> was refined to much better Rf/Rw.
>
> This is definitely not a smart solution because we effectively 'throw
> away' useful data between 3.5A-3.3A, but for the purpose of MR and
> refinement, it seems we have solved (or simply bypassed?) the problem.
>
> Suggestions on XDS/DIALS are appreciated. We are actually using this
> dataset as a test set for XDS/DIALS to deal with ice rings. Will further
> report if we've got anything interesting.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Sam
>

> On Thu, 4 Apr 2019 at 20:54, Clemens Vonrhein <vonrh...@globalphasing.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> And if you want to process with XDS: autoPROC [1] will try to detect
>> and exclude ice-rings automatically - if present [2].
>>
>> If you know that you have ice-rings you can force it [3] to exclude
>> all known ice-rings ranges - but this might not be the best solution
>> if you have "just" diffuse ice-rings (where the special treatment of
>> background within DIALS might be better). Something to test and
>> compare maybe?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Clemens
>>
>> [1] https://www.globalphasing.com/autoproc/
>>     https://www.globalphasing.com/autoproc/wiki/index.cgi?IceRingHandling
>> [2]
>> https://www.globalphasing.com/autoproc/manual/autoPROC7.html#step1_spotnohkl
>>     https://strucbio.biologie.uni-konstanz.de/xdswiki/index.php/Ice_rings
>> [3]
>> https://www.globalphasing.com/autoproc/manual/appendix1.html#SetvarParameter_XdsExcludeIceRingsAutomatically
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 04, 2019 at 10:51:19AM +0000, melanie.voll...@diamond.ac.uk
>> wrote:
>> > Dear Sam,
>> >

>> > to continue from James Parkhurst's email...

> [...]

Dr. Johan P. Turkenburg                     X-ray facilities manager
York Structural Biology Laboratory
University of York
York YO10 5DD   UK                          Phone (+) 44 1904 328251
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-6992-6838
EMAIL DISCLAIMER http://www.york.ac.uk/docs/disclaimer/email.htm
<http://orcid.org/0000-0001-6992-6838>