Thanks to Guenter and Eleanor for their replies. I mentioned that there is
not adequate space for a metal ion at the described interfaces.
Nevertheless, placement of a metal ion, followed by refinement in Phenix,
repositions the side chains significantly so as to make room for the ion
without distorting geometry. There is also a very strong difference signal
centered between the four side chains. This agrees with the MS data, which
indicate a monomeric state without a disulfide linkage. Now, I just need to
identify the metal. A Zn2+ seems to fit well based on coordination number
and interatomic distances, as Guenter exemplified.

Best wishes,
Chris