Dear Elias,

I agree with Rasmus that current chemical shift predictions from structure are
not accurate enough at present to assign 15N HSQCs, at least not directly.
Predictions from the two servers I'm most familiar with (http://www.shiftx2.ca/
and https://spin.niddk.nih.gov/bax/nmrserver/sparta/) have a standard deviation
of roughly 0.5 ppm in proton and 2.5 ppm in nitrogen, which is too much to
assign all but the simplest spectra.

In principle you can do better if you are able to measure the CA, CB and CO
chemical shifts, as they can be predicted more accurately. I am currently
developing a method to use this information for spectral assignment, so contact
me off list if you are interested. However, you still need 13C labelled sample
and triple-resonance experiments, so not sure how useful that would be to you.

You can get some information from your spectrum based on chemical shift alone.
For example, tryptophan and arginine side chain amines have distinctive
chemical shifts, and can often be distinguished from the backbone. Similar
considerations apply to the 13C HSQC, especially if you record the constant
time version. Depending on sample concentration and your spectrometer
sensitivity, you might be able to record this on a natural abundance sample.
These approaches are likely to be less useful for larger proteins though.

Best wishes,
Alex