Hi Tim,
Good to hear from you!  No longer at PSI??
See... You are already touching upon one of the logical breaking points in
the resolutiton story...!  X-ray crystallography resolution criteria like
R-factors make absolutely no sense outside the field of crystallography and
of structural biology.  It is the result of a hybrid iterative optimisation
process between the phases of a model structure and the measured amplitudes
of a diffraction experiment!  The FRC/FSC resolution criteria, in contrast,
are universal quality metrics not at all coupled to Cryo-EM or structural
biology.  Using structural biology arguments like how well I see an alpha
helix or how well I see the hole in an aromatic ring as an assessment
criterion of whether a metric is good or not is a waste of time!  (Moreover
filtering a map can completley change its appearance without changing its
information contents). Even some my own (ex-)students and (ex-)postdocs
sometimes completely miss this fundamental point. The FRC and FSC criteria
are now used as quality metrics in all walks of image science like X-ray
tomography and super-resolution light microscopy, fields of science where
atomic coordinates of proteins are not an issue. The FRC / FSC functions
are universal and very direct metrics that compare both the amplitudes and
the phases of two independent measurements of images or 3D-densities of the
same object. For more details, see the 2017 bioRxiv paper and references
therein (https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/224402v1) and check my
#WhyOWhy tweets (@marin_van_heel). See also: van Heel - Unveiling ribosomal
structures: the final phases - Current opinion in structural biology 10
(2000) 259-264.

Cheers,
Marin