Hi Jacob,

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 9:13 AM Keller, Jacob <kell...@janelia.hhmi.org>
wrote:

> I would think the most information-reflecting representation for
> systematic absences (or maybe for all reflections) would be not I/sig but
> the reflection's (|log|) ratio to the expected intensity in that shell
> (median intensity, say).

Xtriage does something like this as part of its space group assignment
algorithm. A choice of space group implies assigning reflections the label
acentric, centric or absent. Each of these have their own prior
distribution, which can be convoluted with a gaussian to compute a
likelihood for that specific space group hypothesis. It provides a decent
way of assigning space groups in an automated manner.

> (...)
>

> Maybe more generally, should refinement incorporate weighting for these
> deviant spots? Or maybe it already does, but my understanding was that
> I/sig was the most salient for weighting.

The best option is to have a decent likelihood function that takes into
account the (almost) full uncertainty of the observation into
consideration, as described by Read & Pannu (https://bit.ly/2W6qmVR)
including various numerical /mathematical approaches to compute this ( Read
& McCoy https://bit.ly/2Qa6b5I;  Perpendicular Pronoun & Perryman
https://bit.ly/2TKjJXH ).

> JPK
>
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Jacob Pearson Keller
> Research Scientist / Looger Lab
> HHMI Janelia Research Campus
> 19700 Helix Dr, Ashburn, VA 20147
> Desk: (571)209-4000 x3159
> Cell: (301)592-7004
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> The content of this email is confidential and intended for the recipient
> specified in message only. It is strictly forbidden to share any part of
> this message with any third party, without a written consent of the sender.
> If you received this message by mistake, please reply to this message and
> follow with its deletion, so that we can ensure such a mistake does not
> occur in the future.

P.H. Zwart
Staff Scientist
Molecular Biophysics and Integrated Bioimaging &
Center for Advanced Mathematics for Energy Research Applications
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratories
1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA-94703, USA
Cell: 510 289 9246

PHENIX:   http://www.phenix-online.org
CAMERA: http://camera.lbl.gov/