NSLS-II Workshop on Protein Dynamics and Time Resolve

The NSLS-II (MX beamlines) is organizing a workshop entitled “Measuring Protein
Dynamics using Very High Throughput Automated Micro-beam and Time Resolved
Micro-beam Macromolecular Crystallography”.

The format of the workshop is online (using BlueJeans and is scheduled to take
place on May 18 and May 19 from 1 PM (ET) to 5.30 PM (ET) both days. There is
no fee to participate in the workshop.

Registration and web page here:

https://nsls2cfnusersmeeting.bnl.gov/workshops/workshop.aspx?year=2020&id=166

Description of the workshop:

Workshop Description: Until recently the primary use case for Macromolecular
Crystallography (MX) at synchrotrons has been to obtain static snapshots of
averaged structures, with dynamics and polymorphs primarily elucidated by XFEL
serial crystallography.  Intense microbeams, fast detectors and augmented
automation have now made wider use of synchrotron serial crystallography
feasible. At the AMX beamline we can now automatically collect complete data
from hundreds of crystals and in special cases collect partial data sets from a
few thousand samples in one day. This has made it feasible to study protein
dynamics from 100s to 1000s of crystals using hierarchical cluster analysis to
potentially determine crystal structures from various states of the same
molecule. We will present recent unpublished work on 2 projects in
collaboration with groups needing to access multiple states.  At the FMX
beamline, we plan to harness the high flux density for the study of protein
dynamics and reaction kinetics at high time resolution using time-resolved MX.
Following a reaction initiation, diffraction images are collected at various
time points to establish kinetic intermediates, and full datasets are assembled
from many crystals to sample a time series. We want to obtain feedback from the
user community on the most promising sample delivery methods, and on reaction
triggers such as substrate molecules, light, or temperature to guide our future
developments. During this workshop we will highlight current and planned
experiments at both beamlines and invite leaders at the forefront of both
aspects of the field as well as potential users that require access to
experiments impossible elsewhere.

Monday Session: Protein Dynamics from large number of structures. Confirmed
speakers and titles:

Yingkai Zhang (NYU): “Ab initio QM/MM Molecular Dynamics Simulations of Enzyme
Reactions”

Rebecca Page (University of Arizona): “ Title: The dynamics of phosphorylation
signaling”

Dmytro Kozakov (Stony Brook University): “TBA”

Gino Cingolani (Thomas Jefferson University): “TBA”

Thu NGuyen (Stony Brook University): “Computational methods to discover small
differences in protein structures”

Tuesday Session: Time Resolved MX. Confirmed speakers and titles:

Pedram Mehrabi (Max Planck Institute): “Time-resolved serial synchrotron
crystallography for the functional characterization of proteins”

Diana Monteiro (Hauptman-Woodward Medical Research Institute): Protein
triggering and sample delivery for time-resolved diffraction and scattering
experiments using synchrotron sources

Jonathan Clinger (Cornell University): “Development of an Alternative Approach
to Time-Resolved X-ray Crystallography”

Zhong Ren (University of Illinois at Chicago): “In Situ Serial Crystallography
at Room Temperature”