From: CCP4 bulletin board <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK> On Behalf Of Robert S Phillips
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2020 9:01 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] Molecular replacement problem

EXTERNAL EMAIL – Use caution with any links or file attachments.
I've been pulling out my hair with this for a few months now.  I have data sets
to 2.6 A for a new enzyme in the aminotransferase superfamily.  Unfortunately,
the closest structure is only 25% identity.  MR with PHASER using the monomer
was a complete failure.  Since the minimum structure of enzymes in the family
is a dimer (the active site is formed at the monomer-monomer interface), I used
dimers for MR with PHASER.  Most of the results were marginal, but one looks
good.  However, it will not refine.  Everything I have done with this solution
has failed, simulated annealing, morphing, etc., it will not refine; AUTOBUILD
and BUCCANEER with it do not give any useable models, since they have poor
statistics and low completeness.  The output from PHASER is below.

** SINGLE solution

** Solution written to PDB file:  DGL_phaser.1.pdb
** Solution written to MTZ file:  DGL_phaser.1.mtz
   Solution annotation (history):
   SOLU SET  RFZ=18.9 TFZ=23.0 PAK=0 LLG=193 TFZ==8.3 LLG=994 TFZ==20.1 PAK=0
LLG=994 TFZ==20.1
   SOLU SPAC P 2 2 21
   SOLU 6DIM ENSE ense_1 EULER  360.0    0.0    0.0 FRAC -0.00 -0.00 -0.00 BFAC
-0.12 MULT 2 #TFZ==20.1
   SOLU ENSEMBLE ense_1 VRMS DELTA -3.5403 #RMSD  2.08 #VRMS  0.89

With LLG = 994 and TFZ = 20.1, isn't this a real solution?

Robert S. Phillips
Professor of Chemistry and of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
University of Georgia
Athens, GA 30602
Phone: (706) 542-1996
Fax: (706) 542-9454
E-mail: rsphill...@chem.uga.edu<mailto:rsphill...@chem.uga.edu>
Web:
http://tryptophan.net<https://pod51004.outlook.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=ccbf42ffea5f48b1bf8e9bb950454bab&URL=http%3a%2f%2ftryptophan.net>

information of Merck & Co., Inc. (2000 Galloping Hill Road, Kenilworth,
New Jersey, USA 07033), and/or its affiliates Direct contact information
for affiliates is available at
for the use of the individual or entity named on this message. If you are
your system.