I have found that the use of "redundancy" vs "multiplicity" correlates very well with the speaker's favorite processing software.  The Denzo/HKL program scalepack outputs "redundancy", whereas scala/aimless and other more Europe-centric programs output "multiplicity".

At least it is not as bad as "intensity", which is so ambiguous as to be almost useless as a word on its own.

-James Holton
MAD Scientist

On 6/24/2020 10:27 AM, Bernhard Rupp wrote:

> Oh, and some of us prefer the word 'multiplicity' ;-0

Hmmm…maybe not. ‘Multiplicity’ in crystallography is context sensitive, and not uniquely defined. It can refer to

 1. the position multiplicity (number of equivalent sites per unit
    cell, aka Wyckoff-Multiplicity), the only (!) cif use of multiplicity
 2. the multiplicity of the reflection, which means the superposition
    of reflections with the same /d/  (mostly powder diffraction)
 3. the multiplicity of observations, aka redundancy.

While (a) and (b) are clearly defined, (c) is an arbitrary experimental number.

How from (a) real space symmetry follows (b) in reciprocal space (including the epsilon zones, another ‘multiplicity’) is explained here

https://scripts.iucr.org/cgi-bin/paper?a14080

and also on page 306 in BMC.

Too much multiplicity might create duplicity…

Cheers, BR

Jon Cooper