Dear Herman and David,

     This thread seems inexhaustible :-) .

     On the matter of "measurement" vs. "observation", we seem again to be
in a situation described by the British idiom "half of one and half-a-dozen"
of the other, i.e. distinct but synonymous terms between which a choice is
quite indifferent.

     In the work on STARANISO and the documentation of that work, a
distinction had to be made between the two terms, for which readers are
referred to Ian's carefully crafted material at

        http://staraniso.globalphasing.org/anisotropy_about.html

and

        http://staraniso.globalphasing.org/staraniso_glossary.html

Here, a measurement is a number plucked out of examining the raw data,
namely an integrated intensity obtained by considering the pixel values
around the position in 3D reciprocal space predicted from an indexing
solution. The next step is to determine whether this qualifies as an
observation, in the sense of containing information that a structural model
would be expected to comply with. This determination is carried out by
computing a local average of I/sig(I) through reciprocal space and applying
a cut-off criterion based on a threshold value for that local average. Other
criteria can be considered, and are indeed offered by the program as
alternatives. Measurements complying with this selection criterion are then
called "observations". In this picture, an observation is defined as a
significant measurement. This basic distinction of vocabulary is then
extended to talking about "unmeasured" reflections (for which there weren't
any detector pixels to catch any photons at their predicted position - e.g.
in gaps between detector modules) and "unobserved" reflections (that are
unmeasured but for which the analysis of the I/sig(I) distribution predicts
that they would have been significant, had they been measured - e.g. in
cusps or missing angular ranges, as well as in module gaps etc.). The
display of the latter as blue dots in the STARANISO Reciprocal Lattice
Viewer then gives a vivid picture of the inadequacies of the experimental
protocol used, in failing to catch all the significant diffraction from the
sample.

     This being said, things could very well had been done the other way,
saying that the blindly integrated intensity was an observation, and that
the subsequent analysis was intended to determine whether you had really
measured something significant (i.e. a useful integrated intensity) by
making that observation. We were aware of this ambivalence, but felt that we
had to comply with the boundary condition that what we ended up with, after
conversion to an amplitude, had to be denoted "Fobs" ;-) . If the early
crystallographers had used the notation "Fmeas" for what they considered as
their experimental data, the choice of terminology would definitely have
gone the other way.

     As Graeme said, use the terminology you want, but document exactly what
you mean by it. The two URLs quoted above (especially the second) show that
this suggestion was conscientiously followed by the STARANISO developers.

     With best wishes,

          Gerard,