Hi Tim,

There is an option to do unit cell parameter refinement (for all six parameters
in general which can only happen in P1). It is undocumented.

Celrefine/lattice refine all # if you give scale instead of all then only one
parameter is refined.

Cellrefine select <alpha>.  # use only atomic B value < Bmedian + alpha *
Binterquartile_range

The last command was added to to reduce effect of wrong atoms.

These command should enable refinement all parameters with due account for
symmetry. But I am worried about refinement of cell parameters using atomic
models. The problem is that it affects B values and I think if model is not
good then cells will be expanded to reduce non-bonding interactions.
I think it will give biased results.
For ideal case (when you deliberately change cell parameters) it worked
perfectly when I tried. However, for real cases I could not convince myself to
claim that it would give unbiased results. My current thought is that either a
model after molecular replacement should be used or cell parameters should be
refined outside using data only (then you can only make cell parameters
consistent with each other).

If you still would want to use refmac to do this calculations then you should
do it iteratively. Refine cell, then change mtz file (different cell
parameters) then refine cell again.
Please also note that if you are refining cell parameters then the resolution
of the data will also change (if you are refining all six parameters then
changes will be anisotropic)

In general it is a trivial but extremely trivial problem.

Regards
Garib