The important take-home message in this excellent article is surely the
conclusion:

"The significant amount of programming effort and user frustration caused
by the H3 and H32 space-group symbols is a good example of how time can be
lost by not adopting long-established standards.  This is not meant to
suggest revising the PDB as this would certainly only serve to increase the
confusion.  Rather, it is a salient reminder to the entire crystallographic
methods-developer community to avoid ad-hoc approaches whenever possible.
Ever more automated systems require highly reliable components and
unambiguous semantics.  The effort spent early in ensuring reliability and
clarity is usually rewarded many times over as time passes."

... and I would add adherence to established conventions.

Cheers

-- Ian