On 21/10/2020 17:40, Doo Nam Kim wrote:

Since I can't access

http://www.ysbl.york.ac.uk/~emsley/software/binaries/nightlies/pre-release/

That link was extant 2004-2007.

I installed coot by installing ccp4.

OK - watch out for 0.9.1 though - it's the chicken's elbows!

However, I can't launch coot in my terminal (I logged in with ssh -X) with a below message.

Since it mentions something about Gtk, I tried to install gtk3,

Wow - good for you! Gtk3 is Future Coot (Gtk4 is Future Future Coot).

(FWIW, you can build and install Future Coot - by which I mean, there's a script to do so - who knows if it will work, of course)

but

http://www.ysbl.york.ac.uk/~emsley/build-logs/build-it-gtk2-simple

is not accessible (https://strucbio.biologie.uni-konstanz.de/ccp4wiki/index.php/Coot#Installation_from_a_distributed_binary_tarball_package).

Yeah. :-( that is the sad fate of URLs. In my opinion if one publishes a URL it should be available for the next 50 years - or until the end of humanity (whichever happens sooner)). Not all web server administrators share this point of view.

Additionally, direct installation of gtk3 seems not trivial with many dependencies that need sudo right.

That is correct in every respect.

Is there anyone contact info of emsley?

Well... the Home of Coot is a peripatetic entity, whose current location is

https://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/personal/pemsley/coot/

There is a Coot mailing list available via Jiscmail:

https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=COOT

These may be more useful than Emsley himself.

If you wish you can find his contact details by searching for them on the MRC LMB site.

    The program 'coot-bin' received an X Window System error.

    The error was 'BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
    operation)'.

      (Details: serial 311 error_code 2 request_code 149 minor_code 3)

OpenGL over GLX was never a full club member. Coot (well, at least *that* Coot) was designed to run locally and if it ever ran remotely then it seems that you had crossed the appropriate palm with the requisite amount of silver.

Hope that helps,

Paul.