Hi Everyone,

Just to put a word in favour of the re-usable bases. We've been using
them for many years with little issue. The advantage of being able to
make up "emergency" loops when needed during a freezing session being
a big advantage.

I have occasionally noticed the slipping pin issue (and when it occurs
that base is withdrawn from use), but I've not noticed a general
problem with smaller movement upon rotation. However, we do see the
ice on the base issue (mainly due to impatient users freezing their
samples). Here, samples can be seen to shift, even without rotation,
for a few moments after mounting. Once the ice on the base/goniometer
inteface has melted, the position stabilises.

Of course, one advantage of the Diamond Light Source microfocus
beamline, I24, is that the pin is vertical in the beam, so the mount
isn't fighting gravity during rotation.

Andy

Quoting Diana Tomchick <diana.tomch...@utsouthwestern.edu>:

We no longer use the reusable bases for the same reasons, but we do
re-use our bases. If you use superglue to glue the pins into the
bases, you can remove the pins from the bases by soaking them in
acetone. This works about 75% of the time, especially if you are
careful not to use too much superglue when you glue the pin into the
base.

It goes without saying that the use of acetone will dissolve the
loop, but then the main reason we remove the pin is due to
imperfections in the loop, so no big deal.

Whenever we see the motions that you describe, we postulate that
somehow the pins were damaged and they are loose in the base.
Occasionally this motion is ascribed to ice between the base of the
pin and the magnetic mount, but this happens very rarely in our
experience.

Diana

Diana R. Tomchick
Professor
Departments of Biophysics and Biochemistry
UT Southwestern Medical Center
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Rm. ND10.214A
Dallas, TX 75390-8816