Hi everyone,

This question must have been asked before but I couldn't find a good answer
online.

I work on a cryo-EM structure with one serine residue covalently linked
with a lipid molecule. The map for the lipid moiety was there but not good
enough to unambiguously place each atom. I tried to manually model the
lipid moiety to fit the map. But if I refine it in real space, it would
move away from the serine residue even though I linked it to the residue in
the PDB file. My question is, how to refine such a modified residue in real
space without breaking the covalent bond? Is there any way to make a
molecular topology file for the lipid moiety that also contains
restraints for the covalent bond with the modified residue? Also, let's say
there is an unnatural amino acid in the protein, how to define this residue
so COOT or Phenix can recognize it as an amino acid and the peptide bond
restraints still apply to it?

Thanks!

Cheng