From: CCP4 bulletin board <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK> On Behalf Of Julia Griese
Sent: Thursday, November 26, 2020 15:11
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] Mean B factors and number of atoms (Refmac/baverage)

Hi all,

I’m writing a Table 1 and getting a bit confused when it comes to number of
atoms and average B factors. Refmac has these in the table in the GUI, but the
atom numbers in that table seem to include H, and I’m only interested in non-H
atoms.
As an example, the PDB file says:

REMARK   3  NUMBER OF NON-HYDROGEN ATOMS USED IN REFINEMENT.
REMARK   3   ALL ATOMS                :     8351

Which agrees with the total count minus TER cards, so that seems to be correct.
However, the table in the GUI for this refinement run looks like this:

Chain mean B<br/>(No. atoms)
 AAA
41.4(       2193 )
BBB
57.7(       3499 )
CCC
57.7(       3499 )
DDD
41.7(       2212 )
EEE
60.3(        923 )
FFF
60.6(        920 )
aaa
55.4(       1323 )
ddd
56.0(       1346 )
GGG
34.3(          1 )
GaG
42.7(          1 )
GbG
34.3(          1 )
GcG
40.1(          1 )
GdG
40.6(          1 )
GeG
35.8(          1 )
GfG
34.2(          1 )
GgG
43.2(          1 )
HHH
40.6(        136 )

You can easily see that this adds up to a lot more than 8351 atoms. The numbers
for the G chain (metal ions) and the H chain (water) are correct, whereas the
numbers for the macromolecule chains appear to include H. (If I run a
refinement with H output to the final file, I get approximately the same number
of atoms in total, though not quite.) But what I’m really interested in is of
course the number of non-H atoms per chain. I don’t want to count all the atoms
by hand…

I used to use baverage to calculate average B factors (and that would also give
me the number of non-H atoms per chain), but can’t get that to work on the
command line and can’t find it in the i2 GUI. I don’t have the old ccp4i
anymore.

So if anyone could either tell me how to get baverage to work, or if there is
another way to extract these numbers, I would much appreciate it!

Best,

Julia

--
Dr. Julia Griese
Assistant Professor

email: julia.gri...@icm.uu.se<mailto:julia.gri...@icm.uu.se>
phone: +46-(0)18-471 4043
http://www.icm.uu.se/structural-biology/griese-lab/

När du har kontakt med oss på Uppsala universitet med e-post så innebär det att
vi behandlar dina personuppgifter. För att läsa mer om hur vi gör det kan du
läsa här: http://www.uu.se/om-uu/dataskydd-personuppgifter/

E-mailing Uppsala University means that we will process your personal data. For
more information on how this is performed, please read here:
http://www.uu.se/en/about-uu/data-protection-policy